Ministry of Sustainable Development and Tourism
Environmental Protection Agency
Montenegro Industrial Waste Management and Clean-up Project (IWMCP)
Request for Expressions of Interest
Environmental and Waste Management Specialist
Consulting Services: Individual Consultant
Loan No. 8428-0 ME
Reference No. MNE-IWMCP-8428-CS-IC-17-3.3.4
Montenegro has joined the World Bank Group in January 2007. The Government of Montenegro has received financing from the World Bank toward the cost of the Industrial Waste Management and Clean-up Project (IWMCP). The IWMCP aims to (i) reduce the environmental and public health risks of selected industrial waste disposal sites through investments in environmental control measures and infrastructure for management of industrial waste; and (ii) strengthen institutional capacity to regulate and manage industrial and hazardous waste. The project consists of the following components:
1. Remediation of historic industrial waste disposal sites;
2. Future Industrial Hazardous Waste Management;
3. Project Management.
The Ministry of Sustainable Development and Tourism (MSDT)/Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) intend to apply part of the proceeds of this loan towards payment for consulting services under the contracts for Individual Consultant: Environmental and Waste Management Specialist
The individual consultant is expected to provide technical assistance to the MSDT/EPA and Project Management Unit (PMU). He/she will report to and take guidance from the Project Manager of the PMU, and MSDT/EPA. Specifically the Environmental and Waste Management Specialist is expected to carry out the following tasks:
- In close cooperation with the respective departments in MSDT/EPA, provide technical control over the agreements to be made with the industries of the high priority sites under the project regarding the separation of waste and segregation of disposal of waste streams in line with EC Directives and Montenegrin legislation in close cooperation with environmental inspectors/local authorities for the concerned industries.
- Assistance with drafting the technical guidance notes and the waste register manual for industries and municipalities.
- Support for the planning and national permitting process for the realization of infrastructure for management and disposal of industrial hazardous waste for future industrial hazardous waste from waste generators in Montenegro.
- Drafting the terms of references for the consultancy services related to the environmental (and social) impact assessment and provide technical support from environmental management perspective (handling and treatment of waste materials, environmental/health/safety requirements; etc.) to the preparation of terms of references for consultancy and works contracts for cleanup activities under the Project.
- Perform technical review with a focus on environmental impacts and compliance of design and bidding documents and other documents that will be prepared for remediation works under the Project.
- Liaise with the national and local authorities responsible for environmental legislation, supporting preparation of TORs for consultancy services in field of environment and waste management
- Management of local and foreign consultants that will be responsible for the preparation od ESIA and EIA and works under Second Project component, monitoring progress on deliverables under those contracts and coordination of the work of the consultants consistent with the overall project implementation plan; and with the construction supervisors also oversee respectance of environmental standards during works on the physical clean-up and export of hazardous waste;
- Review safeguards documentation, including the ESIA, EIAs and EMPs .
- Ensure that requirements of the EIA and EMPs are followed and occasional (semi-annual) updates of environmental chapter are made to reflect changes in legislation during the project implementation.
- Facilitate public consultations of the site specific EIAs and Environmental Monitoring Plans and monitor possible environmental issues
- Provide support to the Project Manager and Civil Engineer in field of environmental protection and waste management
Required qualification and criteria for selection of the consultant will be:
- University technical degree in a relevant field (engineering, environmental sciences). Advanced third level qualification would be an advantage;
- At least 5 years of professional experience out of which at least 3 years of experience in waste management and environmental (including site remediation) projects;
- Experience with EC Directives concerning hazardous and waste management would be an advantage
- Fluency in English language with strong written, oral communication and listening skills.
- Demonstrated ability in working in teams.
- Computer literacy.
The Consultant is expected to be available to commence as in December 2017. The Consultant shall work closely together with the MSDT/EPA, PMU and TSU.
The successful applicant will be recruited on a part time (four hours per day)contractual basis for a period of 1 year. Initial probation period of 3 months will apply. Contract can be renewed on an annual basis up till the end of the project and based upon performance.
The MSDT/EPA through the Technical Service Unit (TSU) now invites eligible individual consultants to indicate their interest in providing the services. Interested consultants must provide information indicating that they are qualified to perform the services (CV, description of similar assignments performed, experience in similar conditions, letters of recommendation, etc.). Individual consultants may be offered through firms or other organizations, but the qualifications of the individual consultant will be the basis of selection.
A consultant will be selected in accordance with the selection of Individual Consultants-IC procedures set out in the World Bank’s Guidelines: Selection and Employment of Consultants by World Bank Borrowers (January, 2011) setting forth the World Bank’s policy on conflict of interest. Interested consultants may obtain further information at the address below from 9-15 hours local time.
Expressions of interest must be delivered to the address below by November 22, 2017. 14,00h CET. EOI can be submitted Via E-mail or in envelope and must clearly indicate project name, subject number and sender details.
Ministry of Finance
Technical Service Unit -TSU
Attn: Zoran Mijović, S. Procurement officer
Address: Jovana Tomasevica 2.
(Stara zgrada Vlade -Office 48.)
81000 Podgorica, Montenegro
Tel: +382 20 201-697
Fax: +382 20 201-698